Happy Valentine's Day


Happy Valentine’s Day!

I hope you all get hit by Cupid’s (or Robin’s) romantic arrow today!

Here is a nice smoochie still from Columbia’s ‘Rogues of Sherwood Forest’ (1950). Directed by Gordon Douglas, this low budget offering featured John Derek as Robin, Earl of Huntington, son of old Robin. The movie is set during the reign of King John (George Macready), whose oppressive taxes incite the young Hood’s rebellion, resulting in the monarch signing the Magna Carta. In his final film role, Alan Hale played Little John for the third time, supported by Billy House as Friar Tuck, Lester Matthews as Allen-a-Dale, Billy Bevan as Will Scarlet and Diana Lynn as Lady Marianne de Beaudray.

7 comments:

Clement Glen said...

Rogues of Sherwood Forest’ (1950).

Kathryn Warner said...

Happy Valentine's Day, Clement!

Neil said...

I remember this film which just preceded Story of Robin Hood but I never saw it until years later. A good version though with John Derek looking the part and Diana Lynn very watchable. She died at the age of 45 from a stroke but made many films sharing the screen with the likes of Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Ronald Reagan, Burt Lancaster and Glenn Ford. Clement describes it as a B movie and perhaps it was but it was in colour and had some big scenes.

Mike Giddens said...

I remember the theme from this film, terrific and rousing, i saw this many times, a very good film.

Albie said...

I bought a Robin Hood compilation DVD before Xmas which had this film along with 'Bandits of Sherwood' and 'Sword of Sherwood'. Haven't got around to watching any yet but will do so soon. I saw all of them last in the mid 1970;s when I was a kid. Have ripped them all onto iPhone so I can watch whilst working away from home.

The DVD is cheap at £7 currently from Amazon if anyone wants to relive their past.

Clement Glen said...

I also have that boxed set Albie!

All of them films are worth seeing and would be very interested in my Blog readers oppinions of them.

Alan Terego said...

I always liked Rogues of Sherwood Forest, since it feels like a quasi-sequel to the Errol Flynn classic, with Alan Hale reprising his role as Little John.