Maybe It's Because I'm A Londoner

On one particular grim day, after seeing the German Doodlebugs devastating his native city Hubert Gregg (1914-2004) composed on the back of a theater program, what later became the popular folk anthem - Maybe it’s Because I’m A Londoner. A copy of the sheet music is pictured above.

"It took me 20 minutes to write it before supper one night", Gregg said. “It's only got 16 bars, but people seem to like it." The song was his second hit-his first was also about the capital city, I’m Going to Get Lit Up When The Lights Go Up In London.

Like Noël Coward’s London Pride, Maybe it’s Because……. was written as a morale booster during the Second World War, although it didn't see the light of day until February 1947. It was the impresario and bandleader Jack Hylton who asked Gregg if he had any songs suitable for Bud Flanagan. At first Gregg couldn’t find anything suitable, but then he remembered the simple little tune he had composed a few years earlier. The song was accepted and used by Bud Flanagan for the West End revue Together Again, in which the Crazy Gang were to reform at the Victoria Palace. Flanagan went on to literally make the song his own during its four-year run.

The song later earned Hubert Gregg the Freedom of the City of London, and was also adapted rather than parodied as "Maybe It's Because I'm From Liverpool", which was popularised in Australia by the English comedian Arthur Askey. It was also chosen by the actor Jack Warner and the producers of the TV series Dixon of Dock Green for its theme music, although it was later replaced by "An Ordinary Copper".

The song was sung by Davy Jones of the pop group The Monkees in 1965 and was also recorded by Billy Cotton & His Band, Chas & Dave, Tessie O’Shea, Tony O’Malley, John Williams, Max Bygraves, Celia Lipton, Alan Mullery and many, many more!

To read a lot more about our multi talented Prince John please click on the Hubert Gregg label below.




MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE I'M A LONDONER

(Hubert Gregg)

London isn't everybody's cup of tea,
Often you hear visitors complain,
Noisy smoky city but it seems to me
There's a magic in the fog and rain.


Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I love London so.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I think of her wherever I go.


I get a funny feeling inside of me,
Just walking up and down.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I love London Town.


People take to sailing as the years go by,
London isn't London anymore.
People may be changing but the town and I,
We are even closer than before.


Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I love London so.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner,
That I think of her wherever I go.


I get a funny feeling inside of me,
Just walking up and down.
Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner
That I love London Town. x2

1 comment:

Clement Glen said...

MAYBE IT'S BECAUSE I'M A LONDONER
Hubert Gregg (1914-2004)